Concerns may include: financial difficulties that make it challenging for you to purchase academic-related items, a change in your or your families financial situation, feeling unprepared to start the semester.
Basic Needs Hub
The Student Support Basic Needs Hub was created to facilitate the connection of campus and community resources for students who are experiencing a time of critical need. The hub provides urgent, essential student necessities, such as food, clothing, housing, and access to academic tools. Assistance provided through the hub is not intended to replace or supplement current student financial aid and it does not need to be repaid.
For qualifying needs, funding limits generally range from $100 – $300 per student request, and due to limited resources, it may not be possible to fulfill all requests. Demonstrated need, availability of resources, relevance, and timing of the request, are all taken into account when allocating resources.
The mission of the hub is to provide short-term, temporary financial assistance in unanticipated or emergency situations; priority is given to students with the highest financial need. Examples of qualifying student needs include:
- Critical resources during the semester like food, clothing, or short-term housing
- Essential academic tools, including technology needs, textbooks, or other resources critical to completing coursework
- Travel or transportation of a student due to an unanticipated crisis, family emergency, or other urgent circumstances
- Unusual or unforeseen medical expenses
- Shelter for a student in a dangerous situation due to acts of violence or victimization
The hub does not offer assistance for non-essential, preventable, or anticipated expenses, such as: library fines, tuition or books already covered through financial aid, technology upgrades, or computer replacement caused by negligence.
To be eligible for assistance through the hub, a student must:
- Be currently enrolled in a University of Rochester degree program
- Submit a request form and corresponding financial aid documentation if requested
- Meet with an assigned advisor to discuss the situation
If you are a student in need and would like to request resources, please complete the resource request form. Please note that information may be shared internally among University of Rochester staff members to the extent necessary to consider and/or complete the request.
- Learn all about the different types of aid available to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Determine your student type and learn about how to apply for financial aid.
- Get more information about the documents you need to submit to complete your financial aid application.
- View the overall cost to attend Rochester and use our interactive calculators for an estimate of how much financial aid you may be eligible to receive.
Everyone experiences difficulties throughout their college experience, but speaking up and asking for support can enable you or a fellow peer to build resilience and thrive. CARE is here for all students at the UR. Whether you are seeking support for a friend, or yourself, we encourage you to submit a CARE Referral to connect with appropriate forms of support and resources to maintain wellness and achieve goals.
CARE can be of assistance by supplying students with options for support while also aiding individuals who support the student in need.
At Rochester, the CARE Network helps to identify students in, or heading toward, distress. With timely and appropriate support, we can ensure our students have access to the resources and services they need to thrive. As members of the UR community, we rely on you—the eyes and ears of our campus—to help make sure our students are supported.