Concerns may include: a change in your or your family's financial situation, concerns about paying tuition, unable to pay tuition balance, concerns about how the loss of job may affect you as a student.
Parent and Family Relations
Parent and Family Relations, a unit in the Office of the Dean of Students, helps parents/families understand and support the student experience, learning, and growth. This office provides support and assists in orienting parents/families of students within The College. We serve as a resource for parents/families throughout their student’s undergraduate career. It is our goal that, as a member of the University of Rochester community, you feel informed, valued, and respected.
The Student Support Basic Needs Hub was created to facilitate the connection of campus and community resources for students who are experiencing a time of critical need. The hub provides urgent, essential student necessities, such as food, clothing, housing, and access to academic tools. Assistance provided through the hub is not intended to replace or supplement current student financial aid and it does not need to be repaid.
For qualifying needs, funding limits generally range from $100 – $300 per student request, and due to limited resources, it may not be possible to fulfill all requests. Demonstrated need, availability of resources, relevance, and timing of the request, are all taken into account when allocating resources.
The mission of the hub is to provide short-term, temporary financial assistance in unanticipated or emergency situations; priority is given to students with the highest financial need. Examples of qualifying student needs include:
- Critical resources during the semester like food, clothing, or short-term housing
- Essential academic tools, including technology needs, textbooks, or other resources critical to completing coursework
- Travel or transportation of a student due to an unanticipated crisis, family emergency, or other urgent circumstances
- Unusual or unforeseen medical expenses
- Shelter for a student in a dangerous situation due to acts of violence or victimization
The hub does not offer assistance for non-essential, preventable, or anticipated expenses, such as: library fines, tuition or books already covered through financial aid, technology upgrades, or computer replacement caused by negligence.
To be eligible for assistance through the hub, a student must:
- Be currently enrolled in a University of Rochester degree program
- Submit a request form and corresponding financial aid documentation if requested
- Meet with an assigned advisor to discuss the situation
If you are a student in need and would like to request resources, please complete the resource request form. Please note that information may be shared internally among University of Rochester staff members to the extent necessary to consider and/or complete the request.
- Learn all about the different types of aid available to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Determine your student type and learn about how to apply for financial aid.
- Get more information about the documents you need to submit to complete your financial aid application.
- View the overall cost to attend Rochester and use our interactive calculators for an estimate of how much financial aid you may be eligible to receive.