You can quickly leave this website by clicking the “EXIT SITE” in the top right or by pressing the Escape key.
To browse this site safely, be sure to regularly clear your browser history.
The Student Support Basic Needs Hub was created to facilitate the connection of campus and community resources for students who are experiencing a time of critical need. The hub provides urgent, essential student necessities, such as food, clothing, housing, and access to academic tools. Assistance provided through the hub is not intended to replace or supplement current student financial aid and it does not need to be repaid.
For qualifying needs, funding limits generally range from $100 – $300 per student request, and due to limited resources, it may not be possible to fulfill all requests. Demonstrated need, availability of resources, relevance, and timing of the request, are all taken into account when allocating resources.
The mission of the hub is to provide short-term, temporary financial assistance in unanticipated or emergency situations; priority is given to students with the highest financial need. Examples of qualifying student needs include:
- Critical resources during the semester like food, clothing, or short-term housing
- Essential academic tools, including technology needs, textbooks, or other resources critical to completing coursework
- Travel or transportation of a student due to an unanticipated crisis, family emergency, or other urgent circumstances
- Unusual or unforeseen medical expenses
- Shelter for a student in a dangerous situation due to acts of violence or victimization
The hub does not offer assistance for non-essential, preventable, or anticipated expenses, such as: library fines, tuition or books already covered through financial aid, technology upgrades, or computer replacement caused by negligence.
To be eligible for assistance through the hub, a student must:
- Be currently enrolled in a University of Rochester degree program
- Submit a request form and corresponding financial aid documentation if requested
- Meet with an assigned advisor to discuss the situation
If you are a student in need and would like to request resources, please complete the resource request form. Please note that information may be shared internally among University of Rochester staff members to the extent necessary to consider and/or complete the request.